ART 217: Comics Art and Literature 2019Course theme: Banned and Censored Comics
Jay Olinger, Spring 2019
Portland Community College
- A Contract with God by Will Eisner, ISBN: 978-0393328042
- Barefoot Gen Volume 1 by Keiji Nakazawa, ISBN 978-0867196023
- This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki, ISBN: 978-1596437746
- Black Hole by Charles Burns, ISBN: 978-0375714726
- Ice Haven by Daniel Clowes, ISBN: 978-0375714696
- Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, ISBN: 978-0375714573
- Saga Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples, ISBN: 978-1607066019
- Week 1:
- What are comics? Exploring definitions, brief history, and introducing terminology.
- Why are comics banned? Exploring censorship, introduce CBLDF.
- Week 2
- Comics History Part 1
- A Contract with God discussion; emphasis on page layout and panel composition.
- Week 3
- Comics History Part 2
- Manga Overview
- Barefoot Gen discussion; emphasis on manga traits (compare to A Contract with God)
- Importance of bold and italics in comics (hand-lettering versus comics sans in Barefoot Gen)
- Week 4 (Guest Lecture from CBLDF)
- Visual, or Formal Analysis Overview
- This One Summer discussion
- Week 5 (Midterm Visual Analysis Essay Due)
- Production Overview
- In-class materials exploration
- Week 6
- Black Hole discussion; emphasis on feathering, visual weight, and page layouts in relation to the horror genre.
- Week 7
- Ice Haven discussion; emphasis on the use of style in storytelling.
- Week 8 (In-class presentations on a banned or censored creator)
- Week 9
- Persepolis discussion; emphasis on autobiography and international comics.
- Week 10
- Finals Week (Final Mini-Comic Due)
- In-class peer assessment of final comics.